Aboriginal Economy Youth Entrepreneurship
This report was published by The Northern Development Ministers Forum.
HERE'S HOW THE AUTHORS DESCRIBE THIS REPORT:
One of the priority projects for the 2010 Northern Development Minister’s Forum (NDMF) was “Aboriginal Youth Entrepreneurship”. The report explored success factors and challenges that affect young Aboriginal entrepreneurs across Canada. The project was carried out in three parts:
- A literature review of relevant materials
- Two surveys were designed and administered to Aboriginal youth entrepreneurs (under the age of 35) and program deliverers; and
- An inventory of programs in each jurisdiction supporting northern Aboriginal youth entrepreneurs was assembled.
Supported from findings from the literature review as well as the surveys conducted, the report concluded that Aboriginal entrepreneurs need assistance in:
- Education, training and job experience
- Business financing
- Business information
- Networking within communities and community support for entrepreneurship.