Top Eight Good Practices For Parent/Caregiver Engagement With Black Families
This factsheet was created by YouthREX.
This factsheet was developed by summarizing a review of research literature on parent/caregiver engagement with Black families.
Here's a peek at the good practices you can find in this factsheet:
- Ask parents/caregivers how they think your organization can better support them.
- Reflect on the beliefs and assumptions you and/or your organization hold about families and parenting.
- Assume that all parents/caregivers want the best for their children.
- Explicitly recognize the less visible ways that parents/caregivers are engaged.
- Offer parents/caregivers the opportunity to engage in ways that are manageable and convenient.
- See traditional engagement activities as important, but not as necessary for every family.
- Work in collaboration with existing community-based organizations.
- Make sure that parents/caregivers feel welcomed in your space(s).